Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Upcoming Trends in Fall Fashion

After spending the long weekend in New York City, the heart and soul of the American fashion industry, I am well prepared to document this fall’s upcoming trends. Everything on the runway is punk inspired-leather, studs, metallic neutrals, bold neon colors-but what makes this upcoming trend different is that the top designers are putting a feminine spin on these otherwise masculine fashion statements. Pastel floral prints, rounded collars, and bright handbags are incorporated into the punk trend to create a well-rounded high fashion look (think Coco Chanel meets Alexander McQueen meets Juicy Couture). Fall is my favorite month for fashion because the weather permits you to wear a complete outfit-jacket and shoes included. No flip-flops or tank tops; just boots, blazers, and trench coats. If you’re shopping for a new look this fall, I recommend heading to Milwaukee. Urban Outfitters and American Apparel can be found in the Historic Third Ward, and just around the corner is Bayshore Mall, where you can find Forever 21 and H&M, both inexpensive stores that inspire you to incorporate designer-inspired pieces into your simple wardrobe.

Although following trends is a large part of your own personal style, deciding for yourself what you think is fashionable is what gives you your own individual style. To offer you an example of this, I interviewed Mackenzie Naughton, a prestigious fashion icon at our own TPS.



Mackenzie’s Unique take on Personal Style:

Chelsea: So, Mackenzie, who is it in the industry that you gain inspiration from to create your own personal style?

Mackenzie: Juicy Couture. If I had one person to remake my room it would be Betsey Johnson or Juicy Couture.

C: Interesting! So from what I have observed, rhinestone hoops earrings and terry cloth bright sweatshirts are significant staples in your wardrobe, would you agree?

M: Yes because it represents my mood, and I am generally a happy go-lucky girl.

C: Very good. So when you wake up in the morning, what exactly is going through your mind as you are putting together this interesting ensemble?

M: Well, I just grab whatever is closest to my bed usually, but when I’m hyped up on my Adderall sometimes I try to look like a rainbow to be a shining light in the darkness that is TPS.

C: I must say, sitting next to you can be blinding. However, I enjoy the contrast to the usual sweatpants that Prairie students seem to begin to wear on a regular basis after they learn about the Junior Thesis. What is your favorite part of this fall’s fashion?

M: Probably nice cozy sweatshirts and Uggs.

C: What are your favorite stores?

M: Juicy Couture. That is my number one. Also Tiffany & Co., Forever XXI, and Chinatown.


C: If you had to pick one particular garment that represents your style, which one would it be and why?

M: My pink sweatshirt that has a big smiley face on the back and on the front it says “Be Happy”

C: Thank-you so much for your time Mackenzie, I look forward to seeing your upcoming wardrobe this fall. Any last thoughts?

M: I don’t like the tights you were wearing today.

C: Gee, Kenz, thanks; I guess that’s why it’s personal style.


Fashion Quote of the Month:


Fashion fades, only style remains the same.


Coco Chanel

1 comment:

Followers